Lawson State Community College provides affordable and accessible quality educational opportunities, promotes economic growth, and enhances the quality of life for the diverse communities it serves. Through varied instructional modes and lifelong learning opportunities, the College prepares students for gainful employment, career advancement, college transfer, and workforce development.
Approved by: The Administrative Cabinet--- August 8, 2017 ; Approved by: The Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees---November 8, 2017
4 Core Values:
CV#1: Student Success:
Recruitment, Persistence, Graduation, Career Development
Leadership, Instruction, Processes,
Curriculum, Community Development,
Stewardship, Accountability, Ethical Practices
Goal 1: Develop a student-centered instructional program that is focused on heightened engagement, innovative technologies, and varied modes of delivery
1. Student satisfaction in the teaching and learning environment.
2. Student perception of academic support services.
3. Effective faculty development resources.
4. Student perception of student engagement.
5. Curriculum modification.
GOAL 2: DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT A COMPREHENSIVE AND STRATEGIC APPROACH TO STUDENT SUCCESS, ENROLLMENT, PERSISTENCE AND COMPLETION
1. Implementation of a strategic recruitment and admissions process.
2. Institutional retention rates, as measured by IPEDS, comparable to or above other system colleges.
3. Implementation of a strategic retention and persistence plan.
4. Intrusive advising.
5. First to second-semester retention rates.
6. SPACE Center usage results.
7. Success of developmental courses as preparation for college-level work.
8. Transfer rates.
9. Graduation rates.
10. Job placement rates.
11. Credential achievement.
12. Student satisfaction with student support services.
Goal 3: OPTIMIZE THE USE OF CURRENT AND EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES TO ENHANCE PROCESSES AND IMPROVE SERVICES COLLEGE-WIDE.
1. Comprehensive academic and administrative computing services.
2. Procurement and utilization of state-of-the-art technologies.
3. Professional development and technical support.
4. Faculty and staff resources reflective of current and emerging trends.
Goal 4: Foster an atmosphere where students feel connected to the College in a personal way
1. Quality-engagement student activities.
2. Freshman Academy and advising.
3. Student perception of college environment.
4. World-class customer service college-wide.
5. Training of faculty and staff.
6. Online support of student engagement.
Goal 5: Ensure that the institution has a sound financial base and demonstrates financial stability
1. Positive fund balance.
2. Cost per FTE in comparison to other community colleges.
3. External reviews by accrediting bodies.
4. Resource allocations for planned growth and change.
5. Calculate composite financial index.
6. Compliance reviews and ethics training.
Goal 6: Provide optimal facilities that are safe and support educational programs and administrative services
1. Student satisfaction with college facility.
2. Clean safe, secure and accessible teaching, learning and living environments.
3. Current facility master plan kept up-to-date.
4. Up-to-date emergency operational plans and procedures.
5. Communication, utilization, and implementation of the safety operational plans and procedures.
Goal 7: Align, create and provide economic and workforce development opportunities based on current and emerging trends
1. Alternative funding resources.
2. Customer satisfaction survey.
3. Provide innovative and relevant training opportunities.
4. Partnership development and engagement.
Goal 8: Engage the community in college initiatives, programs and services
1. Community events that reflect the various cultures.
2. One Stop Community Center.
3. Community partnerships.
4. Community service activities.
5. Advisory Boards.
6. Alumni outreach.
7. Access to campus facilities.
Approved by the administrative cabinet of Lawson State Community College:
august 8, 2017
When students graduate from Lawson State Community College with an AA, AS, AAS, AOT or CER (long or short), they will be able to:
SLO #1: Communicate Effectively
(express ideas with clarity, logic, and originality in both spoken and written English).
SLO #2: Reason Quantitatively
(apply mathematical principles to address and solve problems)
SLO#3: Think Critically
(Gather and interpret data using a variety of methods to address and solve both practical and theoretical problems).
SLO#4: Develop Information and Visual Literacy
(assess information requirements of complex projects, identify potential textual, visual and electronic resources, and obtain the needed information to interpret, evaluate, synthesize, organize and use that information, regardless of format, while adhering strictly to the legal and ethical guidelines governing information access in today’s society).